- Exploring the origins of illusion: when did the humans first suspend their disbelief and why?
- Suspending audiences’ disbelief: what mechanics are required?
- Dissecting the relationship between performer, audience, light and darkness
- Playing with how we perceive: how does lighting and set design shape how we feel
- Designing for the audience and the audiences phone
- How will future technologies shape the way we design for and experience performance?
Es Devlin, Stage Designer
Es Devlin is a stage designer. She creates kinetic sculptures meshed with light and film for opera, dance, film, theatre, runway shows and concerts. She has created stage sets in collaboration with Beyoncé, Kanye West, U2, Jay Z, Adele and The Weeknd. She designed the London Olympic Closing Ceremony and the Rio Olympic Opening Ceremony and continues to work in theatre at all scales.